Rhône Whites Style Guide
Style Guide Overview
- LalVigne Aroma™ (LA) increases glutathione as well as the precursor for 3MH (tropical/citrus) giving elevated and stable aroma compounds. This foliar spray is used twice. Once at 5% veraison and again 10-14 days later, the dosage is 1.21 kg/acre (2.7 lb/acre) each time.
HARVEST, TRANSPORTATION AND PRE-FERMENTATION
- Harvest date and process control is critical to flavor development, optimization and wine style
- Optimizing flavor and aroma
- Extracting the flavor pre-cursors from the grape skins can be achieved using 10-20 g/ton of Lallzyme Cuvee Blanc™ and giving a skin contact time of 6-8 hours. If skin contact is not desired Scottzyme® Cinn-Free or Pec5L can be used for settling.
- If any moldy aromas are present, then 40 g/hL (3.3 lbs/1000 gals) of Nutrient VitEnd™ or 30 mL/hL (1.1L/ 1000 gals) of Inocolle may help.
- Avoiding oxidation is key with Rhône-style white wines
- To scavenge quinones (pre-cursor for oxidation) use 30 g/hL (2.5 lb/1000 gals) Glutastar™
- To scavenge oxygen, add 5 g/hL (0.42 lb/1000gals) of FT Blanc™, FT Blanc Soft™ or FT Blanc Citrus™
- See chart below
- Avoid ML (unless desired) and the oxidation of the volatile aromatics. Add 20 g/hL (1.67 lb/1000 gals) of Pure Lees Longevity +™ to scavenge oxygen, thereby protecting color and aromas. Bactiless™ 20 g/hL (1.67 lb/1000 gals) or Lysovin 30-50 g/hL (2.5-4 lb/1000 gals) can be used for bacterial stability. Consider the use of a β-glycosidase (Scottzyme® BG or Rapidase® Revelation Aroma) to reveal any bound varietal aromatic compounds.
|STEP||NUTTY OR SPICY STYLE||FLORAL STYLE||YELLOW FRUIT STYLE||WHITE FRUIT STYLE|
|Inactivated Yeast for Aroma & Color Protection||Add 30 g/hL (2.5 lb/1000 gals) Glutastar™ directly to pressed juice|
|Pre-Fermentation Solids Goal||80 – 120 NTU’S||80 – 120 NTU’s||60 – 100 NTU’s||60 – 100 NTU’S|
|Non-Saccharomyces Yeast||Biodiva™ can be used to enhance aromas and mouthfeel. Laktia™ can be used to increase freshness and acidity.|
|Rehydration Nutrient||Add 30 g/hL (2.5 lb/1000 gals) Go-Ferm Protect Evolution™|
|Yeast Strain at 25 g/hL (2 lb/1000 gals)||58W3™, CY3079™ or ICV 254™||ICV D21™ or R2™||Exotics Mosaic™ or Rhône 4600™||DV10™ or ICV GRE™|
|If hydrogen sulfide production is a concern, try ICV Okay™ (59-75°F)|
|Fermentation Temperature (adapt per yeast strain)||55-68°F||56-78°F||56-75°F||56-75°F|
|Nutrient Regime at 2-3 Brix Drop*||Fermaid K™ 25-50 g/hL (2-4 lb/1000 gals)||Fermaid O™ 20-40 g/hL (1.7-3.3 lb/1000 gals)|
|Inactivated Yeast at 2-3 Brix Drop||Opti-WHITE™ 25-50 g/hL (2-4 lb/1000 gals) if mouthfeel enhancement is desired|
|Nutrient Regime at 1/3 Brix Drop*||Fermaid O™ 10-40 g/hL (0.83-3.3 lb/1000 gals)||Stimula Chardonnay™ 40 g/hL (3.3 lb/1000 gals)||Stimula Chardonnay™ 40 g/hL (3.3 lb/1000 gals)||Fermaid O™ 10-40 g/hL (0.83-3.3 lb/1000 gals)|
*Additional nutrition may be required to secure the fermentation depending on starting YAN, sugar and individual yeast strain requirements.