Recommended Method to Restart a Stuck Malolactic Fermentation
Prepare the Stuck Wine
- Add 30 g/hL (2.5 lb/1000 gal) of Reskue™ prior to restarting. Suspend Reskue™ in 10 times its weight in warm, 30–37°C (86–98°F) water. Wait 20 minutes then add to stuck wine.
- Allow the tank to settle for 48 hours then rack off the settled lees.
- Adjust the temperature of the Reskue treated wine to 18–22°C(64–72°F).
Malolactic Activator Addition
- Add 20 g/hL (1.7 lb/1000 gal) of ML Red Boost to the Reskue treated wine. When restarting a stuck MLF, ML Red Boost is used for white, red, and rosé wines.
- Mix gently and wait 24 hours before bacteria addition.
Malolactic Bacteria Addition
- Add a double dose of VP41 direct inoculation culture (Example: for 1000 gallons, add 3 x 25hL (660 gal) packets).
- Check for MLF activity by analyzing L-malic degradation every 2–4 days.