Standard Build-Up Cultures
Instructions for Rehydration
(Based on a 20-25hL Sachet)
- Remove sachet of bacteria from cold storage and allow it to slowly come to room temperature(1-2 hours) before proceeding with rehydration.
- Carefully clean and thoroughly rinse one 25 L(7 gal) container.
- Add 12.5 L(3.5 gal) of wine from the tank to be inoculated at 20 ̊C(68 ̊F). Add 10 g of potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) and mix. Add 12.5 L(3.5 gal) of chlorine-free water at 20 ̊C(68 ̊F), then homogenize.
- Remove a 5 L(1 gal) portion of this mixture and to this portion add 500 g of Acti-ML, followed by the bacteria in a separate clean container. Mix and incorporate these 5 L(1 gal) back into the 25L(7 gal) container.
- Cover 25 L(7 gal) container and store it at 20 ̊C(68 ̊F).
- After 24 hours, measure the malic acid concentration. When the malic acid content is below 0.5g/L (approximately 2 days), add the 25 L(7 gal) mixture to 25 L(7 gal) wine at 20 ̊C(68 ̊F).
- After 48 hours, measure the malic acid concentration. When the malic acid content is below 0.5g/L, proceed to the next step.
- Suspend 500 g of Opti’Malo Plus in a small amount of water or wine and add directly into the wine at the same time as the malolactic culture. It should not be added to the rehydration water.
- When the malic acid of the 50 L(13 gal) mixture is 0.5 g/L, incorporate into 50 hL(1,320 gal) of wine at a temperature of 20 ̊C(68 ̊F).
- Homogenize anaerobically and maintain a constant temperature ≥ 15 ̊C(59 ̊F) in the tank throughout MLF.