The Comprehensive Sensory Training Kit offers a wide range of the most important flavors and aromatics found in beer.
This kit contains 25 individual flavor vials, in the appropriate concentration for spiking 1 liter of beer. While breweries with established tasting panel structures will certainly find this kit extremely valuable, it can also be used for “taster calibration” by brewers’ guilds, homebrew groups, and beer judges.
The Siebel Institute Sensory Training Kits are designed to help tasters build their skills towards understanding beer flavor at a truly professional level.
In addition to breweries with established tasting panels, these kits are also great for training and calibration purposes for others with an interest in beer, including:
- Breweries training new and existing staff to spot beer defects more effectively
- Brewers guilds looking to add value to their regularly-scheduled meetings
- Homebrew groups and beer judges looking to sharpen judging and flavor recognition skills
- Distributors, wholesalers and agents who need to be able to ‘talk the talk’ about beer attributes with beer specialty retailers
Each kit is shipped in ready-to-use liquid form, making them as easy to use as possible.
Seibel's Comprehensive Flavor Kit includes the following flavors:
- Acetaldehyde - green apple, cut grass
- Acetic acid - vinegar-like
- Almond - marzipan, almonds
- Bitter - hoppy, bitter
- Butyric acid - putrid, baby vomit
- Caprylic acid - soapy, fatty, candle wax
- Contamination - sour & buttery
- D.M.S. - cooked corn, cooked vegetables
- Diacetyl - butter, butterscotch
- Earthy - geosmin, soil-like
- Ethyl acetate - solvent-like, nail polish remover
- Ethyl hexanoate - aniseed, apple or liquorice
- Geraniol - floral, geranium flowers
- Grainy - husk-like, nut-like
- Hefeweizen - spicy & banana
- Indole - farm, barnyard
- Isoamyl acetate - banana, peardrop
- Isovaleric acid - cheesy, old hops, sweaty socks
- Lactic acid - sour, sour milk
- Light Struck - skunky, toffee or coffee like
- Mercaptan - sewer-like, drains
- Metallic - metal, tin-like, blood
- Papery - cardboard, oxidized
- Spicy - cloves, all spice
- Vanilla - custard powder, vanilla essence
Please refer to the Sensory Kits Leaflet in the Documents tab above for more information on how to use the kit.